All teachers have also been expected to readdress class and school rules this week, especially those that have been trouble spots for us this school year. Most teachers have been giving students handouts and having conversations about them. Not me! We are writing skits that we are going to film and share.
For the latter half of the first semester, I had not rearranged my student groups. Today, I found a lesson in which to incorporate the flexible grouping strategies. At the beginning of the school year, I used a grouping strategy using play cards. Today's strategy was a variation of that one:
- Desks were arranged in groups of four.
- On each desk, I taped a playing card suit.
- For each group, I taped a card number (9, 10, J, Q, K, A).
- As students arrived at class, they choose a playing card.
- Students found their assigned number and suit, creating random groups.