Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

You compared the plot chart to WHAT?

Sometimes I have to wonder if the statements my students make are incredibly odd or insightfully genius. Today, I am going with genius. 

I was using The Walking Dead (among other shows/movies) to help students understand rising action, climax, and falling action. I was explaining that as we move through the rising action, things start relatively calm, but we suddenly find our hands making tight fists and our breathing becoming shallower. As the story reaches its climax, we are often holding our breath because the storyline becomes so intense. With the falling action, we start breathing again and our fists release as things calm back down. 

"That's like when you have to pee really bad!" a student blurted out. 



Yes, I was filled with confusion, but I had to allow her to explain. 

This is what she shared: Rising action is like when you have to pee a little bit, and the longer you wait, the more intense it becomes. The climax is when the teacher lets you out of class and you experience the moment of urination. The falling action is the moment of relief that follows the entire process. 

Linear plot and the process of urination. Who would have thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment