As much as I would like to take credit for everything in this presentation, I have used three resources. I started with a lesson on Writing Fix, then referred to two Image Grammar resources.
The lesson is scaffolded as follows:
- Students will define participial phrases.
- Students will deconstruct participial phrases from a mentor text.
- Students will identify participial phrases within a paragraph.
- Students will write participial phrases to describe photographs.
- Students will write participial phrases to describe an event.
- Students will add participial phrases to a previously written text.
Because I am teaching students on all different levels, and because a long-term sub in another classroom is also teaching my lessons, I have built a great deal of practice into this assignment. For students who grasp the concept quickly, I will move on to -ed participial phrases. From past experience, I know that the -ings tend to be easier for them.
Keeping my fingers crossed.